wrestling7.jpg

Freshman Logan Schumacher takes on another wrestler during the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open Nov. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. 52 schools competed during this tournament.

Iowa State wrestling is declining out of the most busy part of the season and now the Cyclones' schedule is starting to cool off.

Schumacher and Mulder Update

Freshman Logan Schumacher got last weekend off as he was nursing a minor knee injury.

"We'll get clarity this week," said coach Kevin Dresser. "We kept him off the mat now for like, you know, eight or nine days."

In Schumacher's absence, fellow freshman Zane Mulder took his place — and he made the most of his opportunity.

Mulder earned a pin in his first career dual meet against South Dakota State, and two days later he won by major decision against Utah Valley.

Mulder's efforts are not overlooked, but Dresser reiterated that Schumacher is the starter.

"Logan's the number one guy," Dresser said. "But [Mulder] was the number two guy... I think it was a very beneficial weekend for him."

Dresser also said that they would likely bring Schumacher and Mulder to Corvallis, Oregon, on Monday for the Oregon State dual.

IMG_5364.jpg

Redshirt sophomore Ian Parker wrestles freshman Dylan Gregerson during the Iowa State vs Utah Valley dual meet Feb. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. Parker won by fall at 6 minuets and 29 seconds and the Cyclones defeated the Wolverines 53-0.

Parker Stays Unscathed

Redshirt sophomore Ian Parker was alleged to have ranked competition for weeks, but an injury to Matt Findlay of Utah Valley put an end to that.

"He's [going to] get tested big time when we get to [Northern Iowa]," Dresser said. "He's excited for that match... and then of course he'll get tested at Missouri."

Parker is undefeated in duals this season, and aside from a couple early losses in tournaments, he has remained dominant throughout the season.

Gremmel Heating Up

Redshirt sophomore Gannon Gremmel has had a solid season at heavyweight for the Cyclones, but last Sunday he turned in his best performance of the year.

Gremmel pinned his first opponent of the season on No. 17 Tate Orndorff of Utah Valley on Sunday.

IMG_5281.jpg

Redshirt sophomore Gannon Gremmel takes down redshirt freshman Tate Orndorff during the heavy weight matchup of the Iowa State vs Utah Valley dual meet Feb. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. Gremmel won by fall at 6 minutes and 31 seconds and the Cyclones defeated the Wolverines 53-0 overall.

"I knew he was a big guy," Gremmel said. "He liked to be upper body... I like being up there, but I don't need to be up there to win."

Gremmel has another challenging bout Monday, when he takes on No. 4 Amar Dhesi of Oregon State.