IMG_5281.jpg

Redshirt sophomore Gannon Gremmel takes down redshirt freshman Tate Orndorff during the heavy weight matchup of the Iowa State vs Utah Valley dual meet Feb. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. Gremmel won by fall at 6 minutes and 31 seconds and the Cyclones defeated the Wolverines 53-0 overall.

Iowa State wrestling is staying in Ames, Iowa, this weekend as it hosts the Last Chance Open at 9 a.m on Sunday.

The Cyclones will be resting most of their starters in preparation for the final two duals against Northern Iowa and Missouri.

The starters that will be wrestling on Sunday are redshirt sophomore 125-pounder Alex Mackall, redshirt freshman 174-pounder Marcus Coleman and redshirt sophomore heavyweight Gannon Gremmel.

Gremmel didn’t make the team’s last trip to Corvallis, Oregon, because he was battling an illness. Redshirt sophomore Ethan Andersen started in his place.

Dresser stated that they wanted to get Gremmel and Coleman out there to get them a couple more matches before the end of the year.

“This Sunday is mostly a chance for us to get to watch our guys that don’t get to compete much,” said coach Kevin Dresser. “So, it’s a chance, really kind of our last chance for our redshirts and our non-starters.”

One notable non-starter is Zane Mulder.

A few weeks ago, Mulder would’ve been under the redshirt distinction, but after fellow freshman Logan Schumacher went down with an injury, Mulder was called upon to replace him.

Mulder will be competing at 165-pounds on Sunday.

At 157-pounds, highly touted freshman David Carr will not be wrestling because he'll be competing in Cuba in a freestyle event.

wrestling9.jpg

Freshman David Carr takes on another wrestler during the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open in Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 3. 52 schools competed during this tournament.

“I’m excited cause it’s a senior level event,” Carr said. “Anytime I can wrestle at that high of a level, it’s just [going to] help me grow in my wrestling.”

Carr is redshirting his first year with the Cyclones and will likely compete for the 157-pound job next season.

Aside from Carr and a couple others, the Cyclones will be wrestling virtually every non-starter on their roster.

“It’s really the last chance for a lot of guys to really get a quality tournament,” Dresser said.