IMG_0400.jpg

Redshirt junior Chase Straw wrestles Justin Ruffin during the Iowa State vs SIU-Edwardsville match in Stephens Auditorium Nov. 11. The Cyclones won nine of the ten matches over the Cougars.

The Iowa State wrestling team was hotter than the pyrotechnics during the intros.

The Cyclones won 47-0 over South Dakota State to move to 8-2 overall and 5-1 in the Big 12.

Action began at 157 pounds. Chase Straw picked up an 11-4 decision. Next, freshman 165-pounder Zane Mulder added a pin in his dual debut. 

At 174-pounds, redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman bounced back with a 12-3 win, extending the Cyclone lead to 13-0. 

Sam Colbray followed at 184 pounds with an 8-4 decision. South Dakota State forfeited at 197 pounds, giving Iowa State a 22-0 lead at intermission. 

After the break, heavyweight Gannon Gremmel snagged a 5-3 decision. At 125, Alex Mackall dominated the first period, earning three four-point near falls and a pin to cap it off.

Up 31-0, 133-pounder Austin Gomez piled on. Gomez picked up a second period pin, pushing the Iowa State lead to 37-0.

At 141-pounds, Ian Parker pieced together a 17-6 win to break 40 team points and create a 41-0 lead.

To close the dual, 149-pounder Jarrett Degen delivered another pin.