IMG_4965.jpg

Utah Valley redshirt freshman Spencer Heywood gets a stall warning while wrestling redshirt junior Chase Straw during the first match of the Iowa State vs Utah Valley dual meet Feb. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. Straw won by major decision 4-0 and the Cyclones defeated the Wolverines 53-0.

Iowa State couldn't keep up its recent hot streak, losing in West Gym on Thursday.

The Cyclones lost to Northern Iowa (UNI), 22-13, falling to 10-3 overall and 6-2 in conference duals.

The action started with UNI grabbing an early 3-0 lead after 125-pounder Jay Schwarm knocked off Alex Mackall, 6-3.

Iowa State bounced back with a 21-4 technical fall from Austin Gomez at 133 pounds.

Down 5-3, UNI answered back with 141-pounder Josh Alber earning a 3-1 win over Ian Parker. The momentum continued for UNI with a 7-5 decision from Max Thomsen over Jarrett Degen.

To close the first half of the dual, 157-pounder Chase Straw secured a win for Iowa State with a 9-4 decision, cutting the Panther lead to 9-8.

After the break, UNI picked up where it left out with a 16-1 technical over Logan Schumacher to extend the Panther lead to 14-8.

The Panthers really put Iowa State in a hole at 174 pounds. With a comfy lead, Taylor Lujan pinned Marcus Coleman in the third period, putting Iowa State down 20-8.

Sam Colbray put Iowa State back on track with an 8-5 win at 184 pounds, trimming the deficit to 20-11.

IMG_5145.jpg

Redshirt senior Willie Miklus wrestles redshirt freshman Ashton Seely during the Iowa State vs Utah Valley dual meet Feb. 3 in Hilton Coliseum. Miklus won by major decision 17-6 and the Cyclones defeated the Wolverines 53-0.

Following Colbray, Willie Miklus added a 4-0 decision at 197 pounds.

One team point was also deducted from each team during the 197-pound match. 

At heavyweight, Carter Isley grinded out a 2-0 win in sudden victory over Iowa State's Gannon Gremmel.