IMG_1007.JPG

Iowa State redshirt senior Willie Miklus celebrates after securing a win in his final match at Hilton Coliseum.

After fielding one athlete in the entire 2018 NCAA Wresting Championships, the Cyclones sent nine in 2019, including two athletes who made it to the final day of competition.

With All-American statuses locked up, redshirt sophomore 149-pounder Jarrett Degen and redshirt senior 197-pounder Willie Miklus competed one last time this season on Saturday.

Degen squared off with Iowa's Pat Lugo in the seventh place match. The two scrapped earlier this season with Degen taking a 7-4 win in sudden victory.

On Saturday, Lugo built a 6-2 lead after the first period. Degen stormed back in the second period, forcing a flurry of stalling calls and tying the match at 8-8.

In the final period, Degen managed to rack up some riding time, but Lugo earned a point and the lead with an escape.

Degen secured a takedown with 22 seconds left to lock up a riding time point, the 11-9 win and a seventh-place finish. 

PHOTOS: Wrestling Media Day

149 pound redshirt sophomore Jarrett Degen poses at Iowa State Wrestlings media day. 

Four-time All-American Miklus capped his career with another rematch against Fresno State's Josh Hokit in the fifth place match. 

Hokit — a dual-sport athlete with football — knocked off Miklus in Fresno State's dual with Iowa State, winning 4-2 in sudden victory.

At the Big 12 Championships, Miklus got revenge with a 6-0 win.

On Saturday, Miklus and Hokit duked it out through three periods, ending with a 1-1 tie. In sudden victory, neither athlete scored any points.

In the first tiebreaker, Miklus escaped, but he failed to secure more points.

In the second tiebreaker, Hokit scored two points off a reversal and added four more nearfall points, ending the match with a 7-2 win for Hokit.