drake relays-46.jpg

Iowa State senior Derek Jones propels off the blocks during the 400-meter hurdles at the Drake Relays in Des Moines April 29, 2017. Jones finished eighth with a time of 52.49.

Iowa State competed at the Big 12 Outdoor Championships in Lawrence, Kansas over the weekend, and both the men’s and women’s teams finished in seventh place.

Four-time All-American Jhoanmy Luque won the women’s triple jump on her sixth and final attempt. With the leader sitting at 45 feet, 3 inches, Luque was able to take first place with a distance of 45 feet, 3 ½ inches.

Luque’s final jump ranked No. 3 among NCAA Division I triple jumps this year.

Luque, a junior, also finished in third place in the long jump after a jump of 21 feet, 5 ½ inches.

drake relays-21.jpg

Iowa State junior Jhoanmy Luque competes in the women's triple jump at the Drake Relays in Des Moines April 29, 2017. Luque finished second with a best jump of 13.12 meters, behind Tori Franklin, who competed unattached. 

Several other Cyclones took home silver or bronze medals.

Junior Evelyne Guay and sophomore Jasmine Staebler each took third place in their respective events. Guay finished the 1,500 meter race in 4:37.25, while Staebler came in third place in the 800 meters with a time of 2:11.04.

Senior thrower Ariana Kuhn finished in third place in the hammer toss. Kuhn sat in fourth place entering her final attempt, where she threw a personal-best 198 feet, 5 inches.

Not only did Kuhn’s final throw put her into third place at the Big 12 Championships; her throw ranked No. 2 at Iowa State all-time.

On the men’s side, Roshon Roomes and Derek Jones each took home bronze medals while Jalen Ford and Thomas Pollard earned second-place finishes.

Roomes, a freshman middle-distance runner, finished the 800 meter race in 1:51.49.

Faced with the tough task of competing against Texas runner and 2016 Olympian Byron Robinson, Derek Jones took home third place in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 52.30.

Junior Jalen Ford was one of six jumpers to record a high jump score of 6 feet, 11 inches. Ford earned a silver medal due to having no misses in his first jumps.

Redshirt freshman distance runner Thomas Pollard finished the 10,000 meters with a time of 29:30.77, finishing just a few seconds behind Oklahoma State’s Hassan Abdi.

The NCAA West Preliminaries will be held in Austin, Texas, May 25-27. Qualifiers will be announced this week.