IMG_8881.jpg

Members of the Iowa State Women's Basketball team react to the senior videos following the Iowa State vs Kansas Senior Night Basketball game held in Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones defeated the Jayhawks 69-49.

The NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament bracket was officially released on Monday afternoon, and it features some positive news for Iowa State.

The Cyclones, who finished the regular season and Big 12 tournament ranked No. 13 in the AP Poll with a 25-8 record on the season, earned a 3 seed in the tournament in the Chicago region. The team will take on 14 seed New Mexico State on Saturday in Ames. 

The 3 seed is the highest for the Cyclones since the 2002 season. Because Iowa State is a 3 seed in the tournament, that means that the Cyclones have earned the right to host the first two rounds of the tournament in Ames.

IMG_6887.jpg

Iowa State junior guard Nia Washington leads her team in a chant before the start of the Iowa State vs Baylor women’s basketball game held Saturday in Hilton Coliseum. The Lady Bears defeated the Cyclones 60-73 despite a surge from Iowa State in the second half.

The other two teams in the Ames region are the 6 seeded DePaul Blue Demons of the Big East Conference, and the 11 seeded Missouri State Lady Bears of the Missouri Valley Conference.

Should the Cyclones defeat the Aggies, who play in the Western Athletic Conference and finished with an overall record of 26-6, they'll face the winner of the DePaul-Missouri State game on Monday. The winner of the regional will advance to the Sweet 16, which will be hosted at the United Center in Chicago.

Game times will be officially announced later on Monday evening.