womens basketball

Bridget Carleton looks to pass the ball at the game against Texas on Jan. 12. The Cyclones lost to the Longhorns 62-64.

After a loss to No. 2 Baylor, No. 20 Iowa State will travel to Oklahoma State for their next game of the Big 12 schedule. Oklahoma State is currently riding a five game home win streak.

The game tips off at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

This season, Oklahoma State has a record of 12-5 overall and 3-3 in Big 12.

On offense, Oklahoma State is led by Vivian Gray and Braxtin Miller, who are both 18-plus points per game scorers.

Miller is dangerous from long range and shoots 5.3 triples a game while connecting on 42.2 percent of those tries.

Gray and Miller are both stat stuffers for the Cowgirls, as Gray ranks second on the team in rebounds and first in blocks and Miller ranks first in assists and steals.

Iowa State will be led by Bridget Carleton, who leads the team in scoring, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals.

Iowa State is coming off of a 84-69 loss to Baylor where Carleton led all scorers with 28 points. Carleton dropped 24 points in the first half, but her scoring stalled in the second half.

Iowa State’s other scoring options weren’t able to get going until the game was out of reach.

Against Oklahoma State, Iowa State freshman Ashley Joens will need to get more involved offensively.

During the game versus Baylor, Joens only took two shots during the entirety of the game.

Joens ranks second on the Cyclones in scoring after Carleton and is capable of explosive offensive outings.

Prior to the Baylor game, Iowa State faced Oklahoma and blew the Sooners out of the water, winning 104-78 behind Joens’ game high 25 points and 6-10 game from behind the arc.

womens basketball

Ashley Joens takes a shot on the basket at the game against Texas on Jan. 12. The Cyclones lost to the Longhorns 62-64.

Joens is the team's top three point shooter and shoots 39.1 percent while shooting 5.8 a game.

In Iowa State’s three losses in the Big 12, only the Cyclones’ loss to Texas has seen Joens eclipse her 5.8 attempts per game and still lose.

Against Texas, Iowa State lost 64-62 in a game which came down to the final possession. Joens shot 3-10 on three pointers during the game.

Iowa State’s other loss was a 73-64 loss to West Virginia where Joens was 1-4 from the long range.

To ease Carleton’s burden on the offensive end, Joens needs to get looks from deep.

Aside from Joens, Madi Wise, Alexa Middleton and Kristin Scott need to aid Carleton on the offensive end. Scott ranks second on the team in scoring, Middleton ranks fourth and Wise ranks fifth. Joens is third in overall scoring.

If Iowa State wins versus Oklahoma State, the Cyclones can use the momentum to separate themselves from the middle pack of the Big 12.

In the standings, Iowa State is currently third behind Baylor and Texas with a record of 4-3. Kansas State and West Virginia also have records of 4-3.

Kansas State has already beaten Oklahoma State this Wednesday, 59-48, and both Kansas State and West Virginia play each other on Saturday.