womens basketball

Sophomore Kristin Scott takes a shot on the basket at the game against Texas on Jan. 12.

Traveling to Stillwater, Oklahoma, No. 20 Iowa State was able to defeat Oklahoma State 84-71 thanks to a hot start.

Entering Saturday, Oklahoma State had accumulated a five game win streak prior to falling to the Cyclones.

Iowa State had four players reach double digit points, including Kristin Scott, who had a career game.

Scott recorded a double-double with 31 points and 12 rebounds and she was perfect on the night. Scott was 11-11 from the floor, 7-7 from three and 2-2 from the free throw line.

Scott set a career best in total points, rebounds, made three pointers and total made shots.

Scott wasn't the only Cyclone to record a double-double, as Alexa Middleton had 15 points and 11 rebounds.

Middleton easily eclipsed the team's high in individual assists which was set by Bridget Carleton with eight.

The other two players in double figures were Carleton, who had 19 points, and  Ashley Joens, who had 17. Carleton also had nine rebounds and five assists while Joens had seven rebounds.

At one point, Iowa State led 47-18, but in the third quarter, Oklahoma State cut down Iowa State's lead to 59-46.

Despite Oklahoma State's third quarter performance, Iowa State was able to hold onto the lead built in the first half by outscoring Oklahoma State 25-23.

With the win, Iowa State and West Virginia both sit at 5-3 in conference play, but West Virginia holds the current tie breaker over the Cyclones. The Mountaineers beat Iowa State 73-64 in Morgantown on January 16.