IMG_7351.jpg

Iowa State freshman guard Ashley Joens guards Baylor fifth year guard Chloe Jackson following a turnover during the fourth quarter of the Iowa State vs Baylor women’s basketball game held in Hilton Coliseum Feb. 23. The Lady Bears defeated the Cyclones 60-73 despite a surge from Iowa State in the second half.

No. 13 Iowa State fell to top-ranked Baylor in the championship game of the Big 12 Tournament on Monday night, losing 67-49.

The loss is Iowa State's eighth on the season and its third loss to Baylor. The Bears, meanwhile, go into the NCAA Tournament with a 31-1 record and, in all likelihood, the top overall seed.

The Cyclones managed to keep pace with Baylor for most of the game, and even managed to tie things at 41 late in the third quarter. The Bears, however, managed to hold Iowa State to only five points in the third quarter. Overall, the Cyclones shot only 3-for-15 from beyond the arc and were out-rebounded 37-27.

IMG_6372.jpg

Iowa State redshirt senior guard Alexa Middleton looks for an open pass during the first half of the Iowa State vs Oklahoma State women’s basketball game held in Hilton Coliseum Feb. 16. The Cyclones defeated the Cowgirls 89-67.

The bulk of the scoring for Iowa State was done by seniors Bridget Carleton and Alexa Middleton, who combined for 31 of the team's 49 points. Freshman Ashley Joens also added eight points on the evening.

The Bears, meanwhile, had three players score 14 points or more. Kalani Brown led the way with 17 points, while Chloe Jackson and Lauren Cox added 16 and 14 points, respectively.

Next up for Iowa State will be the NCAA Tournament, set to begin on Friday, March 22. The Cyclones' seed and matchup will both be determined next Monday.