IMG_8956.jpg

Iowa State senior guard Bridget Carleton waves to the crowd following the Iowa State vs Kansas Senior Night basketball game held in Hilton Coliseum on Monday, March 4. Carleton was awarded with Iowa State's top honor for female athletes on Wednesday.

The Iowa State Athletic Department announced Bridget Carleton as the 2019 Celia Barquin Arozamena Iowa State Female Athlete of the Year on Wednesday.

Carleton had one of the best seasons in Iowa State history last season en route to winning the award which was renamed in honor of deceased Iowa State golfer Arozamena.

During her last season at Iowa State, Carleton was named a 2019 Second Team AP All-American while averaging 21.7 points, 8.6 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 2.3 blocks and 1.2 steals per game.

Carleton was the first player in program history to win the Big 12 Player of the Year and the Cheryl Miller Award, which is given to the best small forward in the country.

Carleton was the best overall player on a team which finished the season 26-9 and won the Preseason NIT Tournament and made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

In her career, Carleton ranks second in points scored with 2,142, third in steals with 211, third in blocked shots with 124 and fifth in three-point shots made with 255.

Currently, Carleton is playing for the WNBA's Connecticut Sun's after being drafted by the team in the second round of the 2019 WNBA Draft.

Arozamena’s name was attached to the Female Athlete of the Year award after she was killed on Sept. 17 at the Coldwater Links Golf course in Ames.

Vigil11

Students listen to some of Celia Barquín Arozamena's favorite songs during a vigil held in her honor on the north side of the Campanile on September 19, 2018. 

As a previous winner of the Female Athlete of the Year, Arozamena’s name was attached to the award in her honor while Gary Thompson’s name was attached to the men’s award.

Thompson was two-time All-American for the Iowa State basketball team.