IMG_5327.JPG

Iowa State freshman Ashley Joens watches her shot during a blowout win over North Dakota on Sunday.

Iowa State sophomore guard Ashley Joens played 18 minutes⁠ — the most she’s played in the 2019 U19 FIBA Women’s World Cup ⁠— in the United States’ 35-point quarterfinal win over Canada on Friday.

Joens scored zero points on zero for six shooting from the field and zero for four shooting from beyond the three-point line while grabbing three rebounds and registering one steal.

While Joens struggled against Canada, the United States coasted to a 81-46 win on Friday in Thailand. 

The United States dominated the Canadians down low as the U.S. out-rebounded Canada 52-29 and outscored them 58-26 for points in the paint.

With her scoreless performance against Canada, Joens in now averaging 2.6 points per game on 20% shooting from the floor and 12% shooting from beyond the three-point line.

On Saturday, Joens and company will take on the Belgan national team.

The winner will take on the winner of the Australia vs. Spain game in the championship.