Womens 5000 Meter

Sophomore Anne Frisbie and senior Erin Hooker run in the Womens 5000 Meter Feb 24th during the Big 12 Track and Field Meet. Frisbie Came in 10th with a time of 16:31.19 and Hooker came in 11th with a time of 16:35.34

LongJump-4942.jpg

Iowa State junior Jhoanmy Luque lands in the pit during the Drake Relays long jump final on April 28. Luque's jump of 20-1 led her to finish in first place.

Number one almost didn’t happen for Jhoanmy Luque.

After committing three consecutive fouls, the Cyclones’ senior long and triple jumper found herself firmly in second place during the triple jump at the Florida Relays. With one jump to go, Luque needed to dig deep to have any hope of winning the event.

She did that and then some. Not only did Luque win the event with a personal record outdoor jump of 44-9 ½ feet, but she now finds herself as the top ranked triple jumper in the entire country.

drake relays-22.jpg

Iowa State junior Jhoanmy Luque competes in the women's triple jump at the Drake Relays in Des Moines April 29, 2017. Luque finished second with a best jump of 13.12 meters, behind Tori Franklin, who competed unattached. 

“It feels amazing,” Luque said. “I’ve been doing this for a long time now, and all the hard work that I put into it came together.”

Luque’s jump was the highlight of what was an exceptional weekend for Iowa State women’s track and field last weekend. The Cyclones showed very well, with several top 10 finishers and personal records set at both the Florida Relays, as well as the Stanford Invitational.

This week, both the men’s and women’s track and field teams will travel to Tempe, Arizona, for the Sun Angel Classic. Luque won’t travel with the team in order to get some rest for upcoming meets, but the senior says she plans to use the time off as a way to cut down on fouls and continue her improvement as an athlete. 

JhoaTripleJump-7607.jpg

Iowa State junior Johanmy Luque jumps during the triple jump at the Drake Relays on April 29. Luque's jump of 43-0 1/2 landed her in second place behind Tori Franklin. 

“I definitely still have a lot to work on,” Luque said. “This past meet, I fouled four jumps out of six. Right now, I’m focusing on my approach and getting that good so that I don’t have a lot of fouls.”

One of the other top finishers from Florida who will be making the trip is Essence Henderson, who herself is off to a great start this outdoor season.

After taking first at the Tulsa Duels in her Iowa State discus debut two weekends ago, Henderson followed up last weekend with a 49-9 ¼ throw and a third-place finish in the shot put.

Big12meet6.JPG

Sophomore Jasmine Staebler finishes second in the finals of the 800-meter run at the Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championship on Feb. 25, 2017, at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. 

Both performances were good enough to land Henderson a spot in the top seven of Iowa State track and field history for both events.

That’s quite the accomplishment, especially for only being a freshman. However, Henderson claims she hasn’t lived up to her own expectations and she too has room for improvement.

“Honestly, I expected more,” Henderson said. “My technique has changed a lot this year, so I’m building off of that. When that’s right, it’ll all hit at the same time.”

Womens 5000 Meter

Sophomore Megan Schott runs in the Womens 5000 Meter Feb 24th during the Big 12 Track and Field Meet. Schott came in 16th with a time of 16:57.765

While Henderson will be looking to perform up to her expectations, so too will Iowa State’s distance runners. With eight top 10 finishes and four personal records at the Stanford Invitational, the meet went about as well as coach Andrea Grove-McDonough could’ve hoped for.

Although there were some athletes who made the trip to Tulsa, Oklahoma, the Stanford Invitational was the start of the outdoor season for several distance runners.

With that in mind, Grove-McDonough said she was happy with the way the distance runners performed and there weren’t really any Cyclones who didn’t run well.

Womens 800 Meter

Sophomore Erinn Stenman-Fahey in the Womens 800 Meter Feb 24th during the Big 12 Track and Field Meet. Stenman-Fahey came in 5th with a time of 2:08.40 

“I thought it was a really nice start for us," Grove-McDonough said. “You never know what you’re going to get in that situation, but I was really pleased with the way they competed. That tells us that the athletes are in a good place, mentally and otherwise.”

While the Cyclones met the challenge of starting the outdoor season on the right foot, Grove-McDonough mentions an entirely new challenge will be facing the Cyclones when the travel to Arizona this weekend: the heat.

While Iowa has been unseasonably cold for most of the week, high temperatures in Tempe, Arizona, are expected to surpass 90 degrees this weekend. On top of that, it’ll also be the second consecutive weekend with a meet for Iowa State, meaning fatigue could play a factor.

With that in mind, Grove-McDonough says some of the longer distance runners will stay home this weekend to recover. For the group making the trip, however, Grove-McDonough still expects high-level performances despite the adverse conditions.

After all, that is the expectation that has been set.

“It kind of is what it is,” Grove-McDonough said. “We’ll just take it as it comes. This is a really good group that’s really on top of their game, so I think that they’re pretty well organized in terms of preparing.”

Langley Falls

Look into veterinary orthodontists in your area. Most vets know the basics, but they don’t generally do cosmetic surgery. When it comes down to a notary application, things can get complicated sometimes. Since you don’t say how this happened, it might be the result of Feline Tooth Resorption, which can affect just one tooth or many, and you can’t tell just by looking at it. Even if this happened as the result of an accident or fight, FTR could still have played a part in weakening the tooth.