IMG_3224.JPG

Iowa State junior Sami Williams throws to first base after scooping a grounder during the second inning against UNI on Tuesday, April 16. The Cyclones defeated the Panthers, 2-0.

Iowa State junior Sami Williams was announced as an Honorable Mention All-American by Softball America Honorable on Tuesday.

Williams had one of the most prolific single-season offensive outputs in Iowa State history and was the top offensive option on a Cyclone squad, which had the best record since 1981.

She holds Iowa State’s single-season records for hits (82), home runs (17), runs scored (59) and doubles (25). Her 25 doubles were the most in the NCAA.

At the plate, Williams’ .398 batting percentage is the fifth best in a single season in school history.

Kirkwood vs ISU Softball

Sophomore Sami Williams Slides into home after junior Sydney Stites hits a triple Sep. 23. The Cyclones defeated the Kirkwood Eagles 9-1.

Iowa State finished the season 37-25 overall, which was the most wins the team has had since 1981. The team also made the post season for the first time since 1989 after the team was invited to the National Invitational Softball Championship.

The team finished the tournament second overall after they lost to UT-Arlington 4-3.

Aside from being named an Honorable Mention All-American by Softball Today, which is in its first year of naming All-American teams, Williams was also named to the First Team All-Big 12.