golf9

Iowa State sophomore Chayanit Wangmahaporn, or "Kanoon" practices on April 19 before the team enters the Big 12 Championship in San Antonio on April 22.

Junior Chayanit Wangmahaporn shot a 3-under-par 69 as the Iowa State women's golf team moved up to ninth place in the Madison Regional after day two. 

The Cyclones shot a 2-under-par 286 on Tuesday, a nine-shot improvement over their first round 295. The Cyclones sit just four shots back of the three schools - Illinois, Northwestern and Ohio State - tied for the sixth and final NCAA Championships qualifying spot. 

golf8

Iowa State junior Celia Barquin warms up during practice. 

Wangmahaporn birdied three holes in a row on her second nine and moved into a tie for 16th on the individual leaderboard. The top three players after all three rounds qualify for the NCAA Championships. 

Iowa State also counted scores from freshman Alanna Campbell and sophomore Amelia Grohn, who both shot even-par 72s, and senior Celia Barquin Arozamena, who shot a one-over-par 73. Senior Nattapan Siritrai shot a 4-over-par 76 to round out the scoring. 

The Cyclones will resume play at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday from University Ridge Golf Course in Verona, Wisconsin.