iowa state classic-23.jpg

Iowa State senior Christabel Okeke competes in the women's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018.

Four competitors, three events, two personal records and one first place finish.

On a hot Friday at the Sun Angel Classic in Tempe, Arizona, where temperatures reached a high of 91 degrees, it was a light slate of action for Iowa State's women’s track and field team.

The only Cyclones that competed throughout the day on the women’s side were Christabel Okeke and Tessa Krempel in the hammer throw, Abby Caldwell in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and Adriana Krammerer in the 3,000-meter run. 

iowa state classic-21.jpg

Iowa State senior Tessa Krempel competes in the women's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018.

However, despite the scorching temps, the four made sure to make that limited action count.

In the hammer throw premiere competition, Okeke set a new personal record with a throw of 186-foot-9, besting her throw at the Florida Relays last week by over six feet.

The throw earned Okeke a fifth place finish at the event, her second top-10 finish in as many weeks, and continued what’s been a nice season to date for the senior thrower.

Abby Caldwell at nationals

Redshirt freshman Abby Caldwell races to a 193rd-place finish at the NCAA Cross-Country Championship on Saturday in Louisville, Ky. 

On the other side in the open division, Krempel took home first place with a best throw of 170-foot-3. Krempel initially held the lead in the event after a 166-foot-7 foot throw, but with three throws remaining was able to improve her score even further by nearly four full feet.

The first-place finish was also Krempel’s second in three weeks, as she also took first place in the hammer throw at the Tulsa Duels on March 16.

Over in the steeplechase, Caldwell scored a third place finish with a time of 11:19.30. The mark is especially impressive when you consider the fact that it was Caldwell's first 3,000-meter steeplechase appearance in two years. 

Caldwell didn't compete last weekend, but her third place finish on Friday was the second time that she's finished in the top three of an event in the last two meets (second place in the 1,500-meter run at the Tulsa Duels).

Finally, Krammerer finished just short of the top 10 in the 3,000-meter run to close out the evening, but was nonetheless able to still set a new personal record in the event with a time of 10:22.84.

That time earned Krammerer an 11th-place finish, and bested her previous mark in the event by 11 seconds.

big 12 track

Senior Evelyne Guay runs in the Women's Mile Finals during the Big 12 Track and Field Championship at Lied Rec Center on Feb. 24. Guy finished in fourth place with a time of 4:56.71.

The remainder of the Cyclone women will compete throughout the day on Saturday in day two of the Sun Angel Classic. The meet will start at noon central time.