NCAAxc17.jpg

Iowa State distance runner Thomas Pollard nears the finish after running a 10k during the NCAA Cross Country Midwest Regional held at Iowa State on Nov. 10. Pollard placed 47th overall for the men's division with a time of 30:07.24. The men's team placed first overall with a score of 69.

Some bittersweet news came to the forefront earlier today about Iowa State track and field athlete Thomas Pollard.

Thomas, the son of Iowa State athletics director Jamie Pollard, revealed in a tweet Saturday night that he has been suffering from unexplained chest pains that had become too challenging to run with. He now has figured out what the problem is, and while it is never enjoyable to sit out a season of any sport, it is certainly good news for his health because now he knows what he is dealing with.

Thomas is a long distance runner and a redshirt sophomore for the Iowa State track and field team. Last year, Thomas saw success when running for the cross-country team and when running in long distance track races.

Now that his condition is fully understood, he can make a healthy comeback next year.