iowa state classic-8.jpg

Iowa State senior Chris Celona competes in the men's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Celona had a best throw of 57-10 1/2.

Small victories.

Iowa State men’s track and field headed down to Iowa City, Iowa, on Thursday to compete in the Musco Twilight event.

The first of the three events populated with Cyclones was the hammer throw. Junior Vlad Pavlenko finished second behind Sterling Mungro with a throw of 190-foot-8, while seniors Chris Celona and Brett Peters finished fourth and sixth with throws of 184-foot-4 and 178-foot-5 respectively.

Peters and Celona have entered their final month of play before the end of their collegiate track and field careers. Peters was able to secure a personal best in this meet.

In the javelin, sophomore Blake Hughes finished second and earned his personal record by recording a throw of 168-foot-3 Hughes is a converted sprinter and looks to continue his success throughout the rest of this season.

Sophomore Zach Timm turned in a solid eighth place effort in the shot put with a throw of 51 feet as well to cap off the day.

Big12meet3.JPG

Iowa State shotputter Zach Timm prepares to throw during the Big 12 Conference Meet Feb. 25. in Lied Rec Facility.

Overall, there were only a few competitors, but the Cyclones made the most of it on the warmest day of the year in Iowa.

With the season winding down, the Cyclones have to start thinking about the turbulent end of the season.

Hype is building.