The Iowa State Cyclones (6-11, 2-7 Big 12) fell to No. 6 Texas (16-3, 9-0 Big 12), losing 4-3, this past weekend but were able to end their losing streak and pick up a win against Baylor (8-20, 2-7 Big 12), winning 4-3.
It was a tight matchup against the No. 6 team as Cyclones’, Maty Cancini, was able to create and win one of the biggest matches against No. 29 Bianca Turati in the No. 1 singles match, which was a huge upset for the Longhorns.
Not only was Cancini able to pull off a win against a ranked opponent, but Ekaterina Repina, in the No. 4 singles match was able to defeat Texas’ No. 123 Bojana Markovic.
The Cyclones brought the energy to doubles play as well as Cancini and Annabella Bonadonna were able to snatch the doubles point against the Longhorns, Petra Granic and Tijana Spasojevic, 6-2. Cancini was able to get her 100th win as a Cyclone after this match.
The Cyclones battled hard with no hesitation but were not able to overcome the Longhorns.
With the win against the Lady Bears, 4-3, the Cyclones were not only able to break a tough losing streak but they were also able to make school history as they had never beaten Baylor.
Cancini stood out once again with an upset for the Bears against their No. 61 Livia Kraus.
Cyclone, Bonadonna was able to get her 159th career victory against Baylor, which broke Iowa State’s career overall wins record. Not only does she have the most career wins, she also has the least amount of losses of that top-10 list.
Iowa State got the early head start on the match, 1-0, by winning two out of the three doubles matches.
Baylor gained ground on the No. 2 and No. 6 singles matchups which tied them up with the Cyclones. Grib established the lead again with the win in the No. 3 matchup against Barnano.
Finally, Bonadonna put an end to the exciting match as she took down Baylor’s Sujova leading the Cyclones to the win and breaking the losing streak.
Iowa State v. Texas
SINGLES (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1)
1. Maty Cancini (ISU) def. #29 Bianca Turati (UT), 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
2. #41 Anna Turati (UT) def. Regina Espindola (ISU), 6-0, 6-1
3. #55 Petra Granic (UT) def. Ekaterina Grib (ISU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Ekaterina Repina (ISU) def. #123 Bojana Markovic (UT), 6-4, 0-6, 6-0
5. Fernanda Labrana (UT) def. Annabella Bonadonna (ISU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Tijana Spasojevic (UT) def. Margarita Timakova (ISU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
DOUBLES (2, 3)
1. Grib/Espindola (ISU) vs. #55 A. Turati/B. Turati (UT), 3-4, uf
2. Cancini/Bonadonna (ISU) def. Granic/Spasojevic (UT) (6-2)
3. Repina/Timakova (ISU) def. Labrana/Markovic (UT), 6-4
Iowa State v. Baylor
SINGLES (1, 6, 2, 3, 5, 4)
1. Cancini (ISU) def. #61 Kraus (BU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Hinojosa (BU) def. Espindola (ISU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Grib (ISU) def. Baranano (BU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Sorokolet (BU) def. Repina (ISU), 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Bonadonna (ISU) def. Sujova (BU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Shakhraichuk (BU) def. Timakova (ISU), 6-4, 6-2
DOUBLES (1, 3, 2)
1. Kris Sorokolet/Angie Shakhraichuk (BU) def. Ekaterina Grib/Regina Espindola (ISU), 6-1
2. Annabella Bonadonna/Maty Cancini (ISU) def. Paula Baranano/Livia Kraus (BU), 6-3
3. Ekaterina Repina/Margarita Timakova (ISU) def. Dominika Sujova/Jessica Hinojosa (BU), 6-3