The matchup was set.

No. 4 Team Black versus No. 6 Team White.

Last night, the baseball club completed its fall league tryouts with a final four Sunday morning with matchups that saw Team Black and Team White come out victorious. 

Both teams were hitting well, but it was the athletic abilities along with strong pitching and hitting from Team Black that made the difference.

Both teams were off to a slow start offensively and defensively.

baseball3

A member of the Iowa State Baseball Club warms up on deck to bat at the Cap Timm Fields on the evening of Tuesday October 17th.

Team White, despite strong hitting from the top of the order in their half of the first inning, couldn't get anything done offensively. They connected on four hits during the inning, but didn't score any runs. (Top 1, 0-0.)

Team Black opened up the scoring in their half of the inning when they scored off a double that hit off the wall. (Bot. 1, 0-1 Team Black)

End of 1st: 0-1 Team Black

Again, Team White couldn't gain any momentum, stranding three runners, resulting no runs. They didn't connect on any hits. (Top 2, 0-1 Team Black)

baseball1

A member of the Iowa State Baseball Club watches his teammate bat at the Cap Timm Fields on the evening of Tuesday October 17th.

For Team Black, the second inning was where life was blown into them. They scored four runs on seven hits, which included three doubles and one single. (Bot. 2, 0-5 Team Black)

End of 2nd: 0-5 Team Black

White was beginning to show signs of life after two batters resulted in two runs. Both hits went deep into the outfield and one was almost a home run, but it was a foul ball. (Top 3, 2-5 Team Black)

Team Black came back with two more runs of its own. They scored two runs on 6 hits. Both runs were a result of two Team White errors. (Bot. 3, 2-7 Team Black)

baseball4

A member of the Iowa State Baseball Club sprints towards first base but gets thrown out at the Cap Timm Fields on the evening of Tuesday October 17th.

End of 3rd: 2-7 Team Black

Team White began to lose whatever momentum it had. They connected on four hits, but scored no runs. (Top 4, 2-7 Team Black)

Team Black managed to only score one run off of two hits in their half of the inning. (Bot. 4, 2-8 Team Black)

End of 4th: 2-8 Team Black

Again, Team White was unproductive in the inning with no hits. (Top 5, 2-8 Team Black)

Team Black scored one run, but stalled after that. (Bot. 5, 2-9 Team Black)

baseball2

Members of the Iowa State Baseball Club take the field during a team scrimmage at the Cap Timm Fields on the evening of Tuesday October 17th.

End of 5th: 2-9

Team White scored no runs on two hits. (Top 6, 2-9 Team Black)

Team Black scored no runs on four hits. (Bot. 6, 2-9 Team Black)

FINAL: Team White 2 - Team Black 9

The baseball club is now in their offseason and will have a tough task to complete. That task: find 10 more players to add to its roster.

The current baseball club players will now send out invitations to the players they will pick for the spring league season.