swim8.jpg

Freshman Elynn Tan swims in lane three during the Women 100 Fly competition Oct. 12 at the Cardinal and Gold swim meet in Beyer Hall. Tan finished with a time of 57.37.

The Iowa State Cyclones (5-3, 1-0 Big 12) conquered the Northern Iowa Panthers (10-2, 1-0 MVC), 179-121, on Saturday afternoon.

The 200 medley squad of Emily Haan, Martha Haas, Elynn Tan and Evan Hundley brought home its seventh medley relay win of the season to get things going early for the Cyclones with a time of 1:44.25.

Lucia Rizzo in the 200 butterfly (2:09.16), Tan in the 50 freestyle (23.92) and Haley Ruegemer in the 500 freestyle (5:05.79) were the other Cyclones that managed to earn victories on the day in individual events.

While that may not seem like enough victories for a team win, the Cyclones were able to overpower the Panthers with their depth with many swimmers earned points on the day.

When a Cyclone swimmer did not get first place, there was often three Cyclones trailing the winner to even out the points that would’ve been lost otherwise.

Where the Cyclones were able to get a huge advantage and build their lead on the Panthers though was in the diving well.

SwimVSNeb-1-11.jpg

Iowa State hosted Nebraska for a swimming and diving meet on Friday.

Divers Dana Liva and Sydney Ronald took first and second in both diving events to secure the win.

Liva won both springboard competitions as she posted her best score of the season (282.40) on the one-meter and just under season-best at 294.90 on the three-meter.

Ronald posted scores of 264.60 and 291.65 on the one-meter and three-meter, respectively.

Overall, it was a team win for the Cyclones as they gear up for some important conference duals against West Virginia and Kansas in a couple of weeks.

The next time you can catch the Cyclone swimmers and divers is at home in Beyer Hall against Illinois State at 5 p.m. on Friday.