SwimVSNeb-1-3.jpg

Iowa State hosted Nebraska for a swimming and diving meet Oct. 26 at Beyer Hall.

The Iowa State Cyclones (7-4, 2-1 Big 12) were bested by the Kansas Jayhawks (7-1, 2-0 Big 12) by a score of 201-93 in the final meet of the 2018-19 season.     

The first half of the meet took place yesterday, going through the 50 freestyle.

The Cyclones began the second day of the meet on Saturday trailing the Jayhawks 98-32.  

Anna Andersen had a successful start to the second day for the Cyclones, as she secured second in the 100 freestyle, touching at 52.11.

After the 200 backstroke, Iowa State had its highest scoring swimming event of the day in the 200 breaststroke, where three Cyclones placed.

Martha Haas led the way in second with a time of 2:22.70, while Lehr Thorson trailed in third (2:26.44). Bryn Ericksen rounded out the trio in fourth (2:27.21).

Haley Ruegemer followed that up with a second-place finish of her own in the 500 freestyle (5:04.41), trailing the Jayhawks' Crissie Blomquist by about eight seconds.

ISU vs ILSU 5

Freshman Lucia Rizzo swims the 200-yard butterfly against Illinois State University. The Iowa State women's Swimming and Diving team swam in Beyer Pool on Jan. 18. Iowa State won the meet 191-100.

Freshman Lucia Rizzo, the only Cyclone swimmer with a win yesterday (200 butterfly), continued her success today as she battled her way to a second-place finish in the 100 butterfly (57.19) and the 200 individual medley (2:08.42).

But the highlight of the day came in the three-meter diving well for the Cyclones.

All three divers earned personal-best scores, with Sydney Ronald (second) scoring a 306.38, Dana Liva (third) putting up a 304.25 and Jessica Coffin (fifth) finishing with a 217.25.

This loss to the Jayhawks ended the Cyclones’ four-meet win streak.

Iowa State will be using the next couple weeks to train in preparation for the Big 12 Championships, which start on Feb. 27.