You are the owner of this article.

Cyclones finish strong at the Kansas Classic, secure second place

• 0
  • 1 min to read

Emily Haan started off the last day of the Kansas Classic on a good note, qualifying for the championship final in the 200 backstroke. She finished 7th in the finals. Teammates Evan Hundley and Anna Ellis made their way into the consolation final, finishing 9th and 16th overall, respectively. Hundley set a new personal best, moving her into 12th place all-time at Iowa State in the event.

Standout junior Anna Andersen swam a spectacular race in the 100 freestyle, hitting the wall with a personal best time of 50.60 to finish in second place. That time officially makes her the fourth-fastest swimmer for the 100 in Cyclone swimming history. Elynn Tan (9th), Hundley (10th) and Emma Ruehle (15th) snatched points for the Cyclones as well.

swim5.jpg

Junior Emma Ruehle swims in lane 3 during the Women 200M at the Cardinal and Gold swim meet in Beyer Hall on Oct. 12. Ruehle finished with a time of 2:10.93.

Nonetheless, the most noteworthy performance for the team on the day came in the 200 breaststroke, where three Cyclones qualified for the championship final. Lehr Thorson led the way, finishing in 4th. She was followed by Martha Haas, who finished in 5th along with Bryn Ericksen in 8th.

Another high scoring event was the 1650 freestyle (mile). Haley Ruegemer was the lone Cyclone swimmer in the championship final, placing 7th. In addition, Lucia Rizzo (9th), Kami Pankratz (11th) and Kat Jones (16th) scored points for Iowa State in the consolation final.

The Cyclones went out on a high note as the quartet of Hundley, Andersen, Ruehle and Tan finished second in the 400 freestyle relay, good enough for the 6th-fastest time in Cyclone history (3:23.68).

swim8.jpg

Freshman Elynn Tan swims in lane three during the Women 100 Fly competition Oct. 12 at the Cardinal and Gold swim meet in Beyer Hall. Tan finished with a time of 57.37.

The Iowa State swimmers concluded the Classic in second place, with a total of 642.5 points. Despite being almost doubled in points by Kansas, the Cyclones came away with many personal best times and top finishes. With a tough conference schedule, it is a good experience for them to compete against tough competition to see what is going to take down the road in more crucial meets.