ISU vs ILSU 8

Freshman Emily Haan swims the 200-yard backstroke in Beyer Pool on Jan. 18. Iowa State University women's Swimming and Diving team won against Illinois State University with 191-100. 

The Iowa State Cyclones (7-3) continued their recent run, defeating West Virginia (3-3) in a winner-take-all relay led by Anna Andersen, Emily Haan, Evan Hundley and Ellyn Tan. The Cyclones are now on a four-game win streak after this 152-148 victory.

Both Haan and Haley Ruegemer were influential in the Cyclones' victory. Haan finished the meet with two victories, one in the 100 backstroke and one in the 200 back. The freshman helped earn important points for the Cyclones in this close affair. 

Ruegemer also was a key performer as she came from behind to win the 1,000 free. Ruegemer taking first in the 1,000 free was an important turning point in the meet as the Cyclones used that momentum to lead them to victory. 

The final race of the meet proved to be the most crucial as the score was 144-139 to West Virginia, meaning the Cyclones needed a victory to take the meet. The efforts of Anderson, Haan, Hundley and Tan earned the Cyclones the victory, finishing the 400 free relay with a time of 3:28.07. The Cyclones now extend their win streak to four heading into the Big 12 Championship.