ISU vs ILSU 1

Junior Emma Ruehle swims the 200-yard freestyle against Illinois State University on Jan. 18 at Beyer Pool. Iowa State University won 191-100.

After the first day at the Big 12 Swimming and Diving Championships, the Cyclones (7-4, 2-1 Big 12) are in third place with 64 points.

On the day, Iowa State competed in two events.

Nonetheless, the Cyclones took advantage of the opportunity and put themselves in good position.

The 200 medley relay quartet of Emily Haan, Martha Haas, Elynn Tan and Evan Hundley set a new school record on their way to a second place finish.

Their time of 1:39.83 broke the previous nine-year-old record time of 1:40.19.

Following that, the 800 freestyle relay squad of Haley Ruegemer, Anna Andersen, Emma Ruehle and Lucia Rizzo came in fourth as they put up a time of 7:17.39, which put them second in school history.

isu swim meet

Sophomore Anna Andersen swims backstroke in the Beyer Hall pool on Oct. 27. 

The showing by the two relay groups today puts the team in a great spot heading into the start of individual and diving events tomorrow.

The 500 freestyle, 200 individual medley, 50 freestyle, and one-meter preliminaries and finals are set to take place in tomorrow afternoon’s session.

The strong 400 medley relay squad, which has the fewest losses since 2010-11, will also be hitting the pool tomorrow afternoon.