ISU Softball 3/29/18

Members of the Cyclone Softball team warm up before an inning March 29.

An 8-4 loss against the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Sunday meant the Cyclones finished the weekend with a 1-2 record.

Freshman designated player Mikayla Ramos scored the first run of the game for the Cyclones off an error by the Red Raiders. Bryn Hanrahan put the ball in play for the Cyclones.

The Red Raiders tied things up in the top of the third inning, with Olga Zamarippa scoring after an obstruction call was made against Cyclones catcher Kaylee Bosworth.

In the bottom of the third inning junior shortstop Sami Williams hit a solo home run — her third of the weekend — to give the Cyclones a 2-1 lead.

Zoe Jones and Kelcy Leach immediately responded for the Red Raiders with two home runs of their own to put the Red Raiders in front 4-2 in the top of the fourth inning. Karli Hamilton scored for the Red Raiders after a pair of errors by the Cyclones to push the lead to 5-2.

The Red Raiders added to their lead in the top of the fifth, as Breanna Russell hit an RBI double and Trenity Edwards scored to give Texas Tech a 6-2 lead.

Iowa State’s offense started to gain some momentum in the bottom of the sixth inning. Hanrahan hit a two-RBI single to left field to trim the Cyclones deficit to 6-4.

Later in the inning, the Cyclones had the bases loaded with two outs and a chance to take the lead. Bosworth hit a deep ball to right field, but Peyton Blythe made a diving catch for the Red Raiders to get the final out of the inning.  

Jones drove home a pair of runs in the top of the seventh to give the Red Raiders a 8-4 victory over Iowa State. Iowa State is now 1-5 in the Big 12 and 18-15 overall.