IMG_1411.jpg

Iowa State Senior Catcher Kaylee Bosworth bats during the Iowa State vs South Dakota softball game held at the Cyclone Sports Complex April 2. The Cyclones had three home run hits and defeated the Coyotes 9-1.

Iowa State kept its winning streak going as the Cyclones knocked off the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 6-3 Sunday. The win clinched a three-game sweep for Iowa State after losing two of three against Big 12 foe Texas Tech and defeating South Dakota on April 2. 

The Cyclones came out swinging, scoring two runs in the bottom of the second inning. Sophomore Talyn Lewis led the way with a run home from second on a fielder's choice followed by Hannah Carter's RBI single through the right side.

The Yellow Jackets came back to take the lead in the fifth inning on a fielder's choice by Crosby Huckabay, but the lead didn't last long. Iowa State took over the lead thanks to Sami Williams' base hit to left, scoring both Taylor Nearad and Kaylee Bosworth.

The Cyclones' lead kept growing as the team scored due to a Georgia Tech error, making the score 6-2.

Freshman pitcher Shannon Mortimer got the start in the circle and went 4.1 innings. She gave up four hits and three walks, resulting in three earned runs.

Sophomore pitcher Tatum Ksiazek entered the game in the fifth inning and threw 0.2 innings of shutout ball. Ksiazek earned the win to move to 5-0 on the season.

Senior pitcher Emma Hylen threw the final two innings to earn her third save. She gave up one hit and had one strikeout to seal the sweep for the Cyclones.

The Cyclones will play in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series against Iowa at 6 p.m. on Wednesday. Iowa State moved to 22-15 (1-5 Big 12) on the season with the three-game sweep.