softball cy-hawk photos -3923.jpg

Logan Schaben bats in front of a near capacity crowd during the Cyclones' 4-2 win over Iowa in the Cy-Hawk Series.

Tuesday’s rivalry game between Iowa State and the Iowa Hawkeyes in Iowa City was a defensive struggle as Iowa State won 2-0.

The Cyclones' offense came from an RBI double by third baseman Logan Schaben in the top of the sixth inning and a solo home run by Sami Williams in the top of the seventh.

The game was initially scheduled for Wednesday at 6 p.m. but was moved up to Tuesday at 6 p.m. due to the weather forecast.

Senior Savannah Sanders made the start for the Cyclones in the circle. Sanders went four innings, allowing two hits and walking two batters but allowing no runs to score.

In the first four innings, each team got runners into scoring position; however, each team made the necessary defensive plays to prevent the other side from scoring.

The Cyclones had four hits, and the Hawkeyes had one hit in the first four innings.

While both teams did have good chances, the Cyclones had more of them. Through five innings the Cyclones had six hits but had no runs and left seven runners on base.

Iowa had a runner on fifth in the bottom of fifth but senior pitcher Emma Hylen entered the circle, and the Cyclones defense stopped the run from scoring.

Iowa State defense was clutch in the bottom of the sixth and seventh inning as the Hawkeyes didn’t have any hits and didn’t get any runners on base which gave the Cyclones the 2-0 victory.

The Hawkeyes are now 15-19 (1-8 Big Ten) this season, and the Cyclones moved to 23-15 (1-5 Big 12).