IMG_2112.jpg

Redshirt sophomore Talyn Lewis steps up to bat in the bottom of the fourth inning during Iowa State's loss to Texas Tech. Iowa State lost to Texas Tech 8-4 on March 31, dropping their record to 18-15 overall and 1-5 in Big 12 play. 

The Iowa State Cyclones (32-23, 7-11 Big 12) dropped their first game of the Big 12 Tournament on Friday to the Oklahoma State Cowgirls (38-14, 13-5 Big 12), losing 17-2 in five innings.

Earlier in the day, the fifth-seeded Cyclones pulled off an upset, defeating the third-seeded Texas Longhorns 2-0.

Unfortunately, Iowa State could not carry over that momentum into this game as second-seeded Oklahoma State dominated in all facets.

Sami Williams did start off the game strong though as she hit a home run in Iowa State’s first at-bat.

The home run was her third in the last five games and 15th off the season, which broke Iowa State's single-season program record.

In the third, Talyn Lewis singled up the middle to score Williams for her second run of the day.

The offense of Oklahoma State proved too much though as Iowa State’s pitching staff allowed 17 hits and 7 home runs.

The Cyclones put up six hits of their own, and drew four walks.

After today’s game, the Cyclones will play either No. 15 Texas Tech or No. 1 Oklahoma for third place in the tournament at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday depending on the result of tonight’s game between Oklahoma and Kansas.

During the season, Iowa State was swept by Oklahoma but was able to win one of the three games against Texas Tech.