IMG_3224.JPG

Iowa State junior Sami Williams throws to first base after scooping a grounder during the second inning against UNI on Tuesday, April 16. The Cyclones defeated the Panthers, 2-0.

The Iowa State Cyclones (28-18, 4-8 Big 12) defeated the University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks by a score of 13-6 on Wednesday at Westside Field in Omaha, Nebraska.

Although the score may indicate that the Cyclones won easily, it took a huge surge of seven runs in the eighth inning for them to prevail.

The first score of the game came in the first inning, as catcher Kaylee Bosworth hit a sacrifice fly to score shortstop Sami Williams.

The Mavericks (4-37, 2-10 Summit) answered with two RBI doubles in the bottom half of the inning to take the lead.

After a scoreless second inning, the Cyclones stormed out in the top of the third with three home runs.

Williams’ was a two-run shot while Bosworth and first baseman Sally Woolpert hit back-to-back solo home runs to bring the lead to 4-2 for Iowa State.

The Mavericks tied it back up in the third inning as designated player Lauren Lauvetz hit her second double of the game to score shortstop Emily Klosterman and catcher Janae Cameron scored on a rare 1-3-6 double play.  

In the fourth, Omaha retook the lead with a score of 6-5 when first baseman Jamie White singled to center field, bringing in Klosterman.

IMG_2958.JPG

Iowa State junior Logan Schaben is congratulated by her teammate after making a catch during their game against UNI on Tuesday, April 16. The Cyclones defeated the Panthers, 2-0.

In the sixth, Iowa State’s third baseman Logan Schaben secured her first hit of the night a big one as she homered to left center to tie the game.

For the next inning and a half of regulation, the score held.  

It was in that first extra frame that the Cyclones put up the high-scoring inning they had been looking for with seven runs.

It was led by RBI doubles from center fielder Taylor Nearad and designated player Mikayla Ramos, which scored two runs each.

Iowa State’s starting pitcher Shannon Mortimer was removed from the circle after facing two batters in the third, with Emma Hylen coming in relief.

IMG_2175.jpg

Senior Emma Hylen delivers a pitch during the sixth inning of Iowa State's 8-4 loss to Texas Tech on March 31. Hylan came in to replace senior Savannah Sanders in the fourth inning. 

Hylen went on to strike out five batters over her six innings of work as she came out with the win for Iowa State, improving her record to 14-7 on the year.

The Cyclones will head back to Ames to battle No. 1 Oklahoma in a weekend series.