women's world cup

Megan Rapinoe scored a brace to lead the U.S over Spain in the American's first game since winning Group F.

The U.S. Women’s National Team continued its winning ways in the 2019 Women’s World Cup Thursday in Le Havre, France, as they defeated Sweden 2-0 to win Group F.

Against Sweden, the United States dominated, especially offensively as the U.S. had possession of the ball 62% of the time and Sweden had possession on 38% of the time.

The United States took 16 shots, four of which were on goal, and Sweden took seven shots, two of which were on goal.

Sweden had nine fouls while the United States only had four, and the United States earned five corner kicks. Meanwhile, Sweden only earned one corner kick.

The United States got off to start in the third minute of play and jumped out to an early 1-0 lead thanks to a goal from midfielder Lindsey Horan that came off a corner kick from forward Megan Rapinoe.

At halftime, the United States held a 1-0 lead over Sweden.

Forward Tobin Heath extended the United States’ lead to two by putting a shot on goal that went off Swedish goalkeeper Jonna Andersson hands and into the goal in the 50th minute, giving the United States a 2-0 lead over Sweden.

By the time the 90th minute and extra time passed, Sweden was unable to put any shots in the back of the net, and the United States beat Sweden 2-0.  

With its win over Sweden, the United States has won Group F and will take on Spain in the Knockout Phase at 11 a.m. Monday in Reims, France.