Women's world cup

Second half goals by forward, Megan Rapinoe, and midfielder, Rose Lavelle, led the United States to a 2-0 victory in Lyon, France, Sunday against the Netherlands in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup Championship.

The United States has now won back to back FIFA Women’s World Cup Championships and four Women’s World Cup Championships.

Against the Netherlands, the United States shined on both sides of the pitch as they took 17 shots, 10 of which were on goal and held the Netherlands to one shot on goal on five shots taken.

In the first half, the United States had some good scoring chances but the Netherlands defense held up and the game was a scoreless tie at halftime.

Dutch defender, Stefanie van der Gragt, committed a foul in the 61st minute in the penalty box and the United States was awarded a penalty kick.

Rapinoe was selected to take the penalty kick and she took advantage of the great scoring chance and scored a goal—which gave the United States a 1-0 lead over the Netherlands.

In the 69th minute, the United States put the nail in the coffin as Lavelle scored for the Americans off of a pass by midfielder, Samantha Mewis, and the United States defeated the Netherlands 2-0.

The United States now holds the record for most goals scored in a Women’s World Cup as they scored 26 goals in the 2019 Women’s World Cup.

Rapinoe scored seven goals in the World Cup and earned the 2019 World Cup Golden Boot which goes to the player who scores the most goals in the cup.