Women's world cup

A 31st minute goal by forward Alex Morgan and a clutch save by goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher on a penalty kick in the 84th lifted the United States 2-1 over England in the semifinals of 2019 Women’s World Cup Tuesday in Decines-Charpieu, France. 

The United States got out to an early 1-0 lead as forward Christen Press scored with a header off of cross from defender Kelley O’Hara in the 10th minute.

English forward Ellen White scored a goal off a pass from forward Beth Mead to tie the game at 1-1. 

In the 31st minute, the United States took back the lead as Morgan scored a goal with a header off a pass by midfielder Lindsey Horan, and the United States took a 2-1 lead which they held at halftime. 

England’s best chance to tie the game and keep their championship hopes alive came in the 84th minute as American defender Becky Sauerbrunn committed a foul in the United States’ own penalty box, and the English earned a penalty kick.

English defender Stephanie Houghton took the penalty kick, but Naeher made the save for the United States, who held onto a 2-1 victory.

The United States will now play in 2019 Women’s World Cup Championship at 10 a.m. Sunday in Lyon, France, and will face the winner of the Sweden and Netherlands game, which will take place at 2 p.m. Thursday.