20180916-Soccer-10.jpg

Freshman Courtney Powell lines up for a shot against UNI goalkeeper Jami Reichenberger. ISU lost 0-1.

Both defenses shined in Saturday night's matchup in Lawrence, Kansas, between the Iowa State Cyclones and Kansas Jayhawks. The game was a defensive battle that ended in a 1-0 win for the Jayhawks.

Between both teams, there were a combined three shots on goal, with the best scoring opportunities for both teams coming early in the first half.

Katie McClure was able to put a shot on goal for the Jayhawks, but sophomore Dayja Schwichtenberg made the save for Iowa State.

The Cyclones' lone shot on goal in the first half was a shot by Courtney Powell that came in the 24th minute.

Both teams went into halftime tied at zero.

In the first half, both teams played pretty evenly, as the box score reflects. However, in the second half, that wasn't the case.

The Jayhawks' offense was very aggressive in the second half, taking 12 shots and earning six corner kicks.

In the 82nd minute, Ceri Holland scored a goal for the Jayhawks to give them the lead and the win.

Kansas' defense has been very solid for the most part this season, and that held true as they held the Cyclones scoreless, limiting the Cyclones to three shots, two corner kicks and one shot on goal.

Kansas improves to 8-2-2 on the season and 2-1 in Big 12 play, while the Cyclones fall to 2-9-2 on the season and 0-2-1 in Big 12 play.