Soccer 1.jpg

Freshman midfielder Claudia Najera crosses the ball against an Omaha player Sept. 8. Iowa State won 1-0.

The Iowa State women’s soccer team was back in action on Friday night in a losing effort against the Saint Louis University Billikens. The Cyclones lost the game in overtime against the Billikens, 1-0.

The Billikens started off hot, making the Cyclone defense work all throughout the first half. The Billikens gave the Cyclones a good scare when Brionna Halverson beat the Cyclones’ junior goalkeeper Dayja Schwichtenberg and fired the ball off the left post.

The Cyclones nearly scored in the second half with a shot blasted beyond the 18-yard box from redshirt freshmen Kenady Adams, which knocked away by the Billikens goalkeeper.

Despite plenty of great scoring opportunities or both squads, neither team could find the back of the net in regulation time, forcing them into a golden goal overtime.

The Billikens were the ones who took the win with the game-winning goal coming from Hannah Friedrich, who snuck the ball past Schwichtenberg two minutes into overtime.

The Cyclones fall to 2-5 on the season and will be back in action on Sunday when they play  Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville. The kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. in Edwardsville, Illinois.