Soccer3.jpg

Riley Behan, midfielder/defender, throws the ball to her teammates during the home opener for the Big 12 conference game versus Kansas on Sept. 29. The Iowa State soccer team lost 2-1.

Iowa State won a big final game against Kansas State at home 1-0, on Thursday night that secured their place in the Big 12 Tournament.

The Cyclones needed a win in their final game of the season if they wanted to keep their Big 12 tournament hopes alive.

They also needed some help from Texas Christian, who beat Oklahoma State and helped send the Cyclones to the tournament.

At the beginning of the game, the Cyclones started their senior defender and captain Riley Behan, who has sat out all year with a foot injury.

Coach Tony Minatta realized that this could be the last chance she gets to be on the field for a collegiate soccer game, so he let her come off the field to a standing ovation after the Cyclones quickly kicked the ball out of bounds.

There was no scoring in the first half, but it was far from uneventful as the Cyclones unleashed a flurry of shots on the Wildcats, but couldn't get anything to go.

Soccer 10/12 5

Senior Emily Steil steals the ball away from West Virginia on Oct. 12 at the Cyclone Sports Complex. The cyclones are wearing pink to support breast cancer awareness.

Senior Emily Steil had the lone goal in the game after beating a couple defenders to a bouncing ball and chipping it past the goalkeeper.

The senior scored her third goal of the year and it decided the game for the Cyclones. She now has a team-leading 11 points.

The Cyclones will now play Baylor in Kansas City on Sunday in the first round of the Big 12 tournament.