Big12meet24.JPG

Then-freshman Andrew Jordan runs in the 3000 meters during the Big 12 Conference Meet in Lied Rec Facility Feb. 25, 2017. Jordan finished 11th overall with a time of 8:19.39. 

On day two of the NCAA Indoor Championships, Iowa State sent two athletes — senior Vlad Pavlenko and junior Andrew Jordan — to compete in Birmingham, Alabama.

The Cyclone duo finished outside the top 10 in both events.

Pavlenko competed in the men’s Weight Final. It was his last weight throw in his indoor collegiate career.

The Cyclones had high hopes for his performance due to his record-breaking heave at the Big 12 Championships with a throw of 68-09.75.

The event gives one flight and then the top 9 marks compete again in a reverse-order. Pavlenko ended up out of reach of the second round, as he placed 13th in the rankings out of 16 with a mark of 67-8.25.

He needed just over a foot and half to squeak into the second round of throws. It also would have given his team some much needed points as Iowa State was tied for 21st after the first day.

Later in the day, Jordan took to the track to run the final for the men’s 3000-meter run. Jordan started off the race by taking a tentative approach.

He immediately went to the back of the pack and remained there for the majority of the race. Midway through two runners went down in a fall, allowing Jordan to move up slightly in the group. He ended up finishing 12th out of 16.