big 12 indoor track day two-31.jpg

Junior Christian DeLago runs in the men's mile at the Big 12 Indoor Championships. DeLago placed seventh in the event with a time of 4:13.52.

The cross-country season kicked off in Iowa City on Friday, and the Cyclones left with a new piece of hardware.

The men finished in first place among nine teams that participated. 

“Overall, coach [Martin] Smith and I were pleased with the results,” said assistant coach Jeremy Sudbury. “It allowed our guys to get out and stretch their legs a bit.”

Four of the seven Cyclones who ran finished within the top 10 in the race. Senior Toby Hardwick led the way, finishing first with a time of 17:57.57.

“Anytime a guy can go out and get the individual title is always a big accomplishment,” Sudbury said. “It was satisfying to see the hard work and training pay off already.”

Kevyn Hoyos, a senior graduate transfer, made his Cyclone debut by finishing in fourth place with a final time of 18:02.80.

“To see him go out and execute the race plan was most impressive,” Sudbury said. “He had a nice negative time on his split and maximized his performance overall.”

Redshirt sophomore Daniel Curts was the next Cyclone to finish with a time of 18:14.54 and in seventh place overall. Christian DeLago began his final season by finishing in 11th place with a time of 18:35.0.

Sam Clausnitzer and Luke Wagner, both freshman, rounded out the field for the Cyclones, finishing in 14th and 34th place, respectively.

The Cyclone men will get two more chances to run the course in Iowa City when they compete in the Regional Preview on Oct. 1 and the NCAA Midwest Regional on Nov. 11.

“Anytime you get a chance to see where the regionals will be and run the course is always a benefit,” Sudbury said. “It wasn’t our focus going in, but it will be a nice fall back we got that experience."

The men will go back to work and continue training to get ready for their next meet on Sept. 24 in Minneapolis.