Thomas Pollard, future Cyclone and son of ISU Athletic Director Jamie Pollard, was named the 2015 Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year on Friday, his third award from Gatorade. 

Pollard won state championships in the 1,600-meter and the 3,200-meter races and helped the Gilbert track and field team finish second at the state championship.

Pollard also shined on the national stage, winning the 3,200-meter race at the Drake Relays in April. He earned two all-American honors in the Foot Locker National High School Cross Country Finals by winning the 3,200-meter run at the Midwest Distance Classic earlier this month and finishing third in the 1,500 at the Nike Festival of Miles.

In October, Pollard led his cross country team to its first-ever state title. 

Pollard is set to compete for the Cyclones in his freshman year this fall with coach Martin Smith's cross country and track and field programs. He chose Iowa State over high-caliber running schools like Oregon, Stanford, Indiana and Wisconsin.