IMG_8612.JPG

Freshman guard Talen Horton-Tucker holds up the Big 12 Championship trophy. Iowa State won the Big 12 Championship 78-66 against University of Kansas on March 16 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, MO.

A key member of Iowa State's 2018-19 men's basketball team is headed to the NBA. 

Talen Horton-Tucker announced his decision to declare for the NBA Draft on Twitter Monday, thanking the school and coach Steve Prohm. 

Horton-Tucker — a four-star recruit out of Simeon High School in the 2018 class — has been a late first round pick in many recent NBA mock drafts, and his unique size and skill set could make him an intriguing prospect for NBA front offices. He is currently ESPN's No. 20-ranked prospect.

It is unclear whether or not Horton-Tucker has signed with an agent. If he hasn't then he can return to the Cyclones before May 29 and keep his collegiate eligibility. If Horton-Tucker hires an agent and goes undrafted, he would also be allowed to return to college due to new rules implemented for the upcoming draft.

In his one season with Iowa State, Horton-Tucker started all but one game, averaging 11.8 points per game on 40.8 percent shooting from the floor. He shot 30.8 percent from 3-point range and 62.5 percent from the free throw line. 

Horton-Tucker added 4.9 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.3 steals per contest.