IMG_1952.jpg

Iowa State freshman Talen Horton-Tucker pulls up from mid range during the first half against Kansas State at the Big 12 Tournament.

Iowa State guard Talen Horton-Tucker has taken another step toward achieving his goal of playing in the NBA. 

The freshman was invited to participate in the NBA Combine, according to a report from Alex Halsted of 247Sports. 

The combine, which takes place from May 15-19 in Horton-Tucker's hometown of Chicago, is where the top 60 NBA prospects test their skills and measure physical traits for all 30 NBA teams, with scouts and general managers ever present. 

Horton-Tucker can still return to the Cyclones by May 29, but the invitation to the combine does make a withdrawal less unlikely. Mock drafts are undecided on Horton-Tucker's NBA readiness, but his youth (he doesn't turn 19 until November) is a positive for teams looking to take a flyer on Iowa State's first-ever one-and-done.

Horton-Tucker averaged 11.8 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game in his lone season wearing an Iowa State uniform.