IMG_1859.jpg

Iowa State freshman Talen Horton-Tucker celebrates with teammate Tyrese Haliburton after a made shot in the first half against Kansas State in the Big 12 Tournament.

After a back-and-forth game that saw the Cyclones trailing by five in the final minutes, Iowa State prevailed over Kansas State, 63-59, to advance to the tournament's championship game Saturday.

The Cyclones made a big defensive stand late in the first half. After Kansas State led 21-14 with 10 minutes to go in the half, freshman guard Tyrese Haliburton grabbed two offensive rebounds on the same possession. The second board was a put-back layup, igniting a Cyclone offense that had been sluggish.

After that layup, Iowa State finished the half on a 21-4 run to take a 35-25 lead into the break.

Redshirt senior Marial Shayok had 11 points in the first half to lead all scorers. Kansas State shot 30 percent (10-of-33) from the floor in the first half.

In the second half, Iowa State gave up a big run to let the Wildcats back in the game. Kansas State led the second half scoring 26-12 at the under-8 timeout, taking a 51-47 lead.

Iowa State had a turnover problem all game, totaling 17 for the game.

With Iowa State trailing by three, Shayok drilled a contested corner 3-pointer to tie it. He followed that up with a go-ahead 3-pointer with 53 seconds left.

Iowa State closed out the game with free throws to advance.

The Cyclones will take on the winner of Kansas/West Virginia at 5 p.m. Saturday.