IMG_1467.jpg

Iowa State head coach Steve Prohm shouts directions at his team during the second half against Baylor in the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City. 

Iowa State picked up another 2019 commitment Tuesday with the signing of three-star guard Caleb Grill.

Grill, who was originally committed to South Dakota State, re-opened his recruitment in March after the departure of head coach T.J. Otzelberger.

Grill is listed at 6-foot-3 and, according to 247Sports, held offers from South Dakota State, Kansas State and UNLV, among others.

“We are really excited to add Caleb to our program,” said coach Steve Prohm in a statement. “We were really fortunate that he opened up his recruitment after the coaching change and once that reopened we jumped in there right away. He has a chance to really be a special player here and he checks all the boxes for what we want as an Iowa State basketball player on and off the floor.

"He’s a really, really good athlete that played and excelled in many sports in high school. He brings a toughness and competitiveness to the table as a freshman that will help our team.”

Iowa State now has four members in its class of 2019, all of which come from the high school ranks. He joins guards Marcedus Leech and Tre Jackson along with forward Luke Anderson.

While Talen Horton-Tucker and Lindell Wigginton still have until May 29 to return to school, it is likely the Cyclones will still have two open scholarships after the addition of Grill.