IMG_2028.JPG

Redshirt senior Marial Shayok scores a successful basket against the Jayhawks in the second half bringing the score to 70-55. Shayok was awarded the most outstanding player of the tournament. Iowa State won the Big 12 Championship 78-66 against University of Kansas on March 16 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, MO.

TULSA, Ok.— Iowa State fans had high hopes for the Cyclones in the NCAA Tournament following a Big 12 Tournament Championship win in Kansas City.

But for much of the first half against Ohio State at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma, it looked as though the Cyclones had left their offense in the Sprint Center. The inability to score resulted in a 62-59 loss. 

Iowa State was fortunate to only trail 26-24 at the end of the first half, as the Cyclones missed 12 of their last 13 shots and went over eight minutes without a made basket. Marial Shayok led the Cyclones with 13 first half points. 

In the second half, Ohio State big man Kaleb Wesson asserted himself, working Iowa State's bigs down low with his positioning. Iowa State struggled on the defensive glass and gave the Buckeyes second-chance opportunities galore. 

Yet, with 3:55 to play, Iowa State was down 53-52 with the ball. After taking a brief 54-53 lead on a Shayok bucket, five straight points from Keyshawn Woods gave the Buckeyes a lead they would not relinquish.

Iowa State ends the season with a 23-12 record.