IMG_7159.jpg

Iowa State's Jasmine Staebler runs in the Distance Medley during the last day of the Drake Relays in Des Moines on April 28, 2018. Staebler and the Cyclones finished in third place.

Jhoanmy Luque and Jasmine Staebler took center stage for Iowa State track and field tonight at the NCAA Outdoor Championships, and although they missed out on top-ten finishes, both took home All-American honors.

The first to finish on Thursday night was Staebler, who was competing for the Cyclones in the 800 meter dash. The junior finished third in her heat and 14th overall with a time of 2:06.29, earning her second-team All-America honors. 

Staebler's time and finish bested her marks from last year at nationals, when she was an honorable mention All-American, but was nearly three seconds off her time at the Big 12 Outdoor Championships when she ran the 800 in 2:03.71.

DR- jasmine Staebler

Iowa State junior, Jasmine Staebler, runs in the women's distance medley relay at the Drake Relays in Des Moines on April 28. 

Shortly after Staebler finished her season, Luque finished the books on one part of her Cyclone career in the long jump. After faulting on her first jump and a less-than-stellar second jump, Luque moved into seventh place with a third jump of 20-feet, 9-and-3/4-inches.  

That jump put Luque in seventh place, which would have been good enough to move on to the finals of the event. However, by the time everyone finished their jumps, Luque fell to 11th place and missed the top-nine cutoff that would have sent her to the finals.

Despite this, Luque still was named as a second-team All-American for her efforts. The honor is her 11th time being an All-American, adding to one of the most illustrious careers in Iowa State track and field history.

Iowa State Drake Relays -5009.jpg

Iowa State senior Jhoanmy Luque competes in the long jump at the Drake Relays. Luque won the event with a jump of 20-feet-11 1/4, which was a personal record.

Luque will get the chance to add one more honor to her resume before ending her career this Saturday, when she competes in the triple jump. Coverage of the event and the NCAA Outdoor Championships can be seen on the ESPN family of networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPN+ and ESPNU).

Level Eleven

Your job as a parent is to bring your children up to the best of your ability, as well as order your lives and your household as well. This might sound old-fashioned, but we all do it de facto if we are parents. You are doing this job somehow; it is up to you, as parents, how best to do it. The teenage children are pretty much guaranteed to not want to do what you want them to, because they have their own agenda, and they are the center of their world right now. You can change things up and take them to Chesapeake Bay sailing charter if you want to. As hard as it is, you parents are something to be gotten away from, in their perception.