drake relays-83.jpg

Iowa State's Jaymes Dennison finishes second in the men's 4x800-meter relay, behind the Iowa Hawkeyes. 

iowa state classic-8.jpg

Iowa State senior Chris Celona competes in the men's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Celona had a best throw of 57-10 1/2.

Showing up down the stretch.

The Cyclone men‘s track and field team was back in action on Saturday with more from the Cardinal Classic in Stanford, and the start of the Michael Johnson Invitational in Waco, Texas.

In Waco, the action started with an early morning hammer throw, with junior Vlad Pavlenko finishing in fourth with a throw of 189-foot-9 while seniors Chris Celona and Brett Peters took fifth and sixth, respectively.

Sophomore Blake Hughes followed up those performances with a personal best score of 170-foot-11 in the javelin throw which helped him capture eighth.

Later in the day, junior Logan Schneider and senior Elijah Young both turned in strong performances at the 110-meter hurdles finishing fourth and seventh, respectively. Schneider finished with a time of 14.26, while Young got 14.41.

iowa state classic-6.jpg

Iowa State hurdlers Taylor Sanderson (left) and Logan Schneider (right) compete in the 60-meter hurdles at the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Sanderson finished with a time of 8.20 seconds and Schneider finished with a time of 8.11 seconds.

Schneider would later earn his personal best in the 200-meter dash, with a time of 22.02. He finished 12th in the event.

Sophomore Zach Timm had a terrific day in the shot put earning second place with throw of 52-foot-05 1/4 . This would have been Timm’s personal best indoors.

At Stanford, the Cyclones only competed in two events, but both of them featured strong performances.

Senior Jaymes Dennison and sophomore Roshon Roomes both ran in the 400-meter dash early in the evening and Roomes had a solid seventh place performance, but it was Dennison who stole the show. Dennison finished second just behind Jonathan Webb of Minnesota, with a time of 46.90 which was a personal record.

iowa state classic-8.jpg

Both Roomes and Dennison would compete later with Frank Hayes and Ka’Ven Berry to win the 4X400-meter relay race with a time of 3:07.57

Jaymes Dennison and the Cyclones certainly brought their "A" game just one week away from the Drake Relays.

The wait is almost over.