iowa state classic-22.jpg

Iowa State's Aleenah Marcucci (left) and Tasha Frazier (right) compete in the women's final 60-meter hurdles at the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Frazier and Marcucci finished with times of 8.80 seconds and 8.85 seconds, respectively.

After a relatively light day on Friday with only four athletes competing, Iowa State women’s track and field had a full day’s worth of competitors on day two of the Sun Angel Classic.

For the second day in a row, the Cyclones started things off with a personal record, as Essence Henderson continued her impressive freshman campaign by setting a new PR in the women’s premiere discus throw. Henderson’s throw, which went 162-5 feet, earned her a fifth place finish in the event.

That wouldn’t be all from Henderson, as the freshman later scored a first place finish in the open division of the shot put with a throw of 50-8 ¼ feet. The throw from Henderson was nearly a full foot better than her third-place throw at the Florida Relay’s last week.

big 12 track

First and second place finishers sophomore Larkin Chapman and junior Erinn Stenman-Fahey smile on the podium after their wins in the Women's 1000 M Final at the Big 12 Track and Field Championship at Lied Rec. Center on Feb. 24. 

While Henderson’s performance may have been the highlight, it wasn’t the only PR or top three finish the Cyclones had that day.

In the 1,500-meter run, Kelly Naumann set a new PR and earned a second place finish with a time of 4:33.89. In the premier division of the same event, Cailie Logue also clocked a new PR with a time of 4:21.23, good enough for seventh in ISU history and a third place finish in the event.

Meanwhile, in the 800-meter run, Jasmine Staebler earned a third place finish and a new outdoor PR with a time of 2:04.54. Finishing just outside the top three in the same event was Erinn Stenman-Fahey, who finished just behind Staebler in fourth place with a time of 2:06.68.

iowa state classic-9.jpg

Iowa State junior Kelly Naumann competes in the women's 5000-meters during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Naumann finished with a time of 16:46.47.

The times were good enough to place the two in sixth and 10th place, respectively, in ISU history for the outdoor 800-meter run.

Rounding out the top 10 finishes on the day for the Cyclones were Evelyne Guay (seventh place, 4:27.61) and Gwynne Wright (ninth place, 4:29.50) in the 1,500-meter run, Larkin Chapman in the 800-meter premier and Emma Whigham in the 400-meter hurdles.

Finally, Iowa State got one more top ten finish in the field events from Tasha Frazier (ninth place, 18-7 feet) in the long jump.

The Cyclones will be back in action once again next Saturday for the Musco Twilight meet in Iowa City, Iowa. Events will take place throughout the day.