Womens 5000 Meter

Junior Bethanie Brown Runs in the Womens 5000 Meter Feb 24th during the Big 12 Track and Field Meet. Brown came in 14th with a time of 16:52.38. 

Knocking the dust off for another week in the long track season is the motto for the Iowa State women's track and field team.

The Cyclones will be back in Iowa City, Iowa, this weekend for the Larry Wieczorek Invitational.

Womens 800 Meter

Sophomore Jasmine Stabler runs in the women's 800-meter Feb. 24 during the Big 12 Track and Field meet. Stabler came in 4th with a time of 2:08.23. 

Many of the women are making their season debuts. One of the debuts on the season is the 2016-17 Iowa State Female Athlete of the Year in Jhoanmy Luque. Luque had an outstanding season last year for the long jump and triple jump, setting eight personal best records last season. And she is going into her last season with the same mindset of last year.

“I hope to get on the same track as last year,” Luque said. “This is my first meet of the season, so I am knocking off the dust from the offseason. This is my final season at Iowa State so I want to finish strong and break the records in the long jump and triple jump.”

Last week at the Hawkeye Invitational, weight thrower Christabel Okeke picked up a win recording a best toss of 57-10 1/4. Another spotlight for the team was Larkin Chapman, who coasted to a victory in the 1,000-meter run by crossing the finish line at 2:49.17. Larkin out ran all the other competitors by nine seconds.

Coach Andrea Grove-McDonough is moving from coaching the successful cross country team who won another Big 12 championship and NCAA Midwest Regionals title, and transitioning into the track season. Grove-McDonough had to trust the team that they would train over the long winter break wherever they would be. She wants the team to build off the strong outing last week and use that to propel them into the finish.

Anne Frisbie is making her debut for the track and field season this week as well. She is running in the mile where she has some friendly faces in Karly Ackley, Chapman, Anna Herriott, Adriana Kammerer, Kelly Naumann, Jasmine Staebler, Erinn Stenman-Fahey and Gwynne Wright. Frisbie is striving to have a solid personal record at the mile which has not happened since her freshman year.

Womens 5000 Meter

Sophomore Megan Schott runs in the women's 5000-meter Feb 24 during the Big 12 Track and Field meet. Schott came in 16th with a time of 16:57.765.

“I am pushing myself to have solid personal records in the mile, 3k and 5k,” Frisbie said. “Even though track and field is a individual sport, we still want to work as a team. This is a “ruster buster” tourney for me because it is my first match. I just want to go with the flow and not over analyze the matchups.

"Overall I am very excited for the match.”

This weekend is another startup tournament for the team and Grove-McDonough is excited to get the rest of the girls out there to run, throw and jump. It is familiar territory since the team was there last week, so she is ready to have a solid finish.

“Some of the girls are debuting this weekend for the team," Grove-McDonough said. “This team has worked hard over winter break individually to better the team and I am excited about the new season and what is to come for this team.”