golf - Amelia

Freshman Amelia Grohn practices at the Cyclones golf practice facility. 

The Iowa State women’s golf team won the 2017 East and West Match Play with a 4-1 victory over Wisconsin in the championship match.

The victory was the first team title for the Cyclones since winning the Dick McGuire Invitational back in 2012.

Chayanit Wangmahaporn got the Cyclones on the board first with an impressive 4-to-3 victory over Jessica Reinecke. Wangmahaporn caught on fire during holes 8, 11, 13 and 15, all with birdies.

Wangmahaporn was five under in her 15 holes of competition yesterday scoring seven birdies and only two bogeys.

Nattapan Siritrai gave the Cyclones a 2-1 lead with a win over Aya Johnson. Siritrai was one down after 10 holes but kept her composure with a win on hole 11.

Siritrai took the lead with a par on hole 13 and another par on hole 17 to help her stay one up. Siritrai closed the match by halving hole 18 with a par.

Amelia Grohn halved her match with Becky Klongland after 18 holes. It was up to Alanna Campbell to bring home the victory for the Cyclones. Campbell had a 2-to-1 victory over Lexi Harkins to win the tournament and bring the trophy back to Ames.

The Cyclones next tournament will be on October 2-3 and will travel to the Windy City to Wilmette, Illinois.

Iowa State women's golf are champions of East and West Match Play for the 2017 tournament.