wgolf - Amelia

Iowa State freshman works on improving her game at the Cyclones practice facliity.

The Iowa State women's golf team traveled to Eagle Creek Golf Club for the UCF Challenge, its first meet of the new year. The Cyclones faced many challenging opponents such as Miami, Wisconsin and, home team, UCF.

The challenge kicked off on Sunday, Feb. 4, in Orlando, Florida. The Cyclones started the match great, finishing round one with a 293 team total. This put them in first place, tied with East Carolina.

Iowa State was led by junior Chayanit Wangmahaporn who shot an even 72 par on the course. This put Wangmahaporn in ninth place for the day, tied with her teammate Joy Chou who also shot a 72. Freshman Alanna Campbell also had a strong start in Florida, finishing the first round with a 74, two over par.

The Cyclones put up an impressive 294 total for the second round of competition, bringing their total team score for the challenge to 587. Miami took first place with a team score of 580, only four strokes ahead of Wisconsin who took second place. Iowa State finished in third place with a strong team score of 587.

Campbell ended the second round of competition tied for 10th place with teammate Wangmahaporn shooting a 146. Both Celia Barquin Arozamena and Amelia Grohn showed their abilities, shooting 150 and 151, respectively.

Throughout both rounds of competition, Iowa State stayed very consistent with their scores.

Langley Falls

If there is one piece of advice I could give today's emerging business woman, it would be to add golf as a skill set in her networking routine. The advantages are just too palpable, both for her and for the golf management companies. Women still only represent about 20 percent of the U.S. golfing population, a number that has remained largely unchanged for decades. Getting more women to play and enjoy golf is critically important but equally if not more important for women and their companies is getting more women to play business golf.